Registering Ejari: A Crucial Step While Renting Apartment In Dubai
Suppose you have rented a new apartment in Dubai and are moving to that apartment. In that case, one of the essential steps you must follow is registering Ejari. What is that? Ejari is a document launched by the Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA). With Ejari, it becomes much easier and more convenient to control and monitor the rental process. The word Ejari means rental in Arabic. Here is more about this certificate before we delve deep into the registration process. This document’s or certificate’s primary goal is to maintain openness and transparency between the owner and the tenants. It even eases settling conflicts between the two parties if any arise as it fully integrates rental contracts into the legal system. Once your tenancy contract is registered, an Ejari certificate with your Ejari contract number will be issued. Continue reading to find out how to register your Ejari.
Reasons to Register in Ejari
Registering your Ejari is a mandatory process. However, we found it beneficial to show further why your Ejari is a necessary certificate. The reasons are not limited to the fact that it reserves both your rights and those of the landlord.
- If you have children for whom you need to issue a residency visa, you will need the Ejari. This certificate shows that the number of rooms in your house is enough for all family members.
- You will need the Ejari certificate to register an account with Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA). Otherwise, your apartment’s water and electricity services will not be functional.
- Building and community management companies will need an Ejari certificate to provide any services for you.
- You will even need this certificate to renew your trade license.
Steps You Need to Follow to Register Your Ejari
- First, you must ensure that the property you have chosen for rental has a valid title deed. It will be one of the documents to present to get your Ejari done.
- In addition to getting the title deed, you will need your tenancy contract. The tenancy agreement, often known as a rental agreement, is a binding contract that permits the tenant to utilize real estate for specific purposes. You need to have this contract in both English and Arabic languages.
- After you have your tenancy contract, you should get the property you will be renting inspected. The main goal is to determine whether the property meets the safety and health regulations set by the government.
- The tenancy contract and the title deed are just some of the documents you need for the Ejari certificate. Be sure to prepare a copy of your passport, a copy of your landlord’s passport, a copy of your Emirati ID and a copy of your landlord’s Emirati ID, and a security deposit receipt.
- Once you have gathered all those essential documents, you have two options:
- You can leave the work of registering the Ejari to the property agent. This option is more expensive, yet more convenient.
- The landlord or owner is permitted and authorized by the Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA) to give you an Ejari contract for any new lease and renewal of an existing one.
Nevertheless, to be eligible to register the Ejari, the agent or the landlord needs to do the following:
- Attend an obligatory 1-day training session.
- Visit the Dubai Land Department.
- Receive the training certificate.
- Complete registration for an Ejari account.
Once done with these steps, RERA will activate their account and send the username and password to them via email within two working days.
You can either register in person or through the app.
To register in person:
- Visit one of five Ejari offices in Dubai. You can walk into one. There is no need to book an appointment before.
- Upload the required documentation.
- Enter the transaction data.
- Get the data to be verified and approved by the system.
- Cover the costs.
- You will receive the contract as well as the certificate of contract registration.
To register via the app:
- Get the Dubai REST app.
- Visit the “Services” section.
- Choose RERA.
- Select the “Register Ejari Contract” option.
- Complete the necessary fields.
- Upload the required files online, then submit.
These are all the steps you need to follow to get your Ejari certificate. It is essential to mention that you need to renew your Ejari certificate every time you renew your contract with your tenant/landlord. The rental period is usually one year, after which you need to renew both your contract and your Ejari. To do so, upload the documents required for renewal online, and get your certificate renewed.