Planning to visit the UAE? Want to stay there? Nobody can blame you. This country is surely a land of opportunities. You probably just want to stay for a short time and enjoy the marvels of this beautiful place. You have chosen the right destination. Here you can find a splendid experience. No matter what your plan is, once you decide to come to the UAE, you will probably need to apply for a visa. In our article today, we present the different types of visas in the UAE.
Types Of Visas Entry Permits In The UAE
There are 8 types of visas in the UAE. Read about each kind, understand it better, and see which one suits your needs more.
1-UAE Residence Visa:
A UAE residence visa, known as a work visa, is usually issued for expats taking up a job in the UAE. This visa is valid for 2 years for LLCs and 3 years for free zone companies. A residence visa should be applied for by the employer (sponsor). A medical test is mandatory to get this visa. The status of your visa can be checked online. As of May 16th, 2022, the Emirates Id has replaced the process of stamping a visa on the passport. Once the work permit is issued, you can apply for the Emirates ID and track the status of the Emirates ID online. Depending on the employment you have your expenses in the UAE change. In the UAE, it is simple for people from various walks of life to live.
In 2019, the UAE implemented a new system for long-term residence visas. The new system enables foreigners to live, work and study in the UAE without the need for a national sponsor and with 100 per cent ownership of their businesses on the UAE’s mainland. These residence visas will be issued for 5 or 10 years and will be renewed automatically.
2-UAE Tourist Visa
Who needs a tourist visa?
The United Arab Emirates tourist visa is for those who do not qualify for a visa on arrival or visa-free entry to the United Arab Emirates and want to come to visit the country. Women under the age of 18 are not eligible for this visa unless they are travelling with their parents.
Free tourist visa:
According to a Cabinet resolution passed in July 2018, children under the age of 18 years who are accompanying adults can get a free visa for their visit from 15 July to 15 September each year.
What is the validity of a tourist visa?
Depending on your plan, tourist visas to the UAE can be issued for 30 days or 90 days, with single entry or multiple entries. The UAE government has also implemented a new 5-year multiple entry tourist visa.
Who can apply for your tourist visa?
The UAE embassies do not issue tourist visas. In order to get a tourist visa to the UAE, you need to get in touch with a tourism agency, one of the UAE-based airlines, or a hotel (where you intend to stay) in the UAE. Those, in turn, will apply for visas on your behalf to the official visa-issuing authorities in the UAE.
Tourist visas through Travel Agencies and Hotels:
Licensed travel or tour agents and hotels in the UAE can arrange a tourist visa for you provided you purchase the ticket through them and maintain a hotel reservation with the specific hotel.
It is essential to check the authenticity of the travel agents you are dealing with and refrain from paying or sending copies of your official documents until you are 100% sure the tour operator is genuine. You may seek the help of the UAE embassy in your country for verification purposes.
Tourist visas through Airlines:
Each airline has some conditions, which must be met in order for your visa to be arranged by them. One of the conditions is to choose to fly with them.
All types of visit and tourist visas can be extended for 30 days twice, upon renewal without the need to leave the country. Visitors and tourists can apply for the second renewal before the expiry of the first one and pay AED 600 each time of renewal.
While you are here, you don’t want to spend your days just sitting at home all day if you are short on cash. There are so many free things you can do in the UAE and so many places you can visit. You just need to go out there and explore.
Who needs a UAE transit visa?
If you are not one of the nationalities that are eligible for a visa on arrival or a visa-free entry to the UAE, then you need a transit visa.
Transit Visa Requirements:
- A passport or travel document with a minimum validity of three months
- A photo of self against a white background
- An onward ticket booking to a 3rd destination, other than the one you are coming from.
- There are two types of transit visas: one for 48 hours which is free of charge and another for 96 hours for AED 50 only. Transit visas are sponsored only by UAE-based airlines and must be processed and approved before entering the UAE. Both types of transit visas are not extendable.
A UAE student visa is a 1-year renewable visa for a university or college student studying in the UAE. It is issued to expatriate students residing in the UAE under the sponsorship visa of their parents or relatives, or to foreign international students who come from countries abroad to study at one of the higher educational institutions in the UAE. To sponsor your family, there are certain criteria that must be met, like salary range, tenancy contract for a residence under your name, etc. One can find a luxury apartment to rent in the UAE or if you are looking for an affordable apartment for rent, there are plenty to choose from.
Student Visa Requirements:
To get a UAE student visa, the applicant must obtain an official admission letter from the university he is studying at. For older students, a certificate of continuation of study is needed. Other requirements include
- A visa sponsor. This can be either the university itself or a parent or relative
Long-term visa for outstanding students
On 24 November 2018, the UAE government approved a decision to grant a 5-year visa to outstanding students. Eligibility conditions for a 5-year Student visa are:
- School students must graduate with a grade of at least 95 per cent from secondary schools whether public or private.
- University students must graduate with a distinctive GPA of at least 3.75 from universities within and outside the country.
- Visa benefits will also include families of outstanding students.
5-E-Visa for GCC Residents
GCC residents and companions travelling with GCC citizens need to apply for visas online and obtain the same before arriving in the UAE.
Notes and Conditions:
- An e-Visa will be sent to you at your registered email address once your application is approved.
- An application for GCC residents and companions travelling with GCC citizens will not be approved if the sponsor is not travelling along with them.
- The GCC residents’ entry permit is valid for 30 days from the date of issue, and they are allowed to stay for 30 days from the date of entry. The visa is extendable once for 30 days.
- The entry permit for companions travelling with GCC citizens is valid for 60 days from the date of issue, and they are allowed to stay for 60 days from the date of entry. The visa is extendable once for 60 days.
- Upon arrival, if the GCC resident’s visa is found to be expired or cancelled, he will not be granted entry.
- If the profession of the GCC resident is found to have changed after the issuance of his entry permit, the entry permit holder will not be granted entry.
- GCC residency must be valid for at least 3 months from the arrival date.
- The passport of GCC residents must be valid for at least 3 months from the arrival date.
6-Retirement Visa for UAE Residents
In September 2018, the UAE Cabinet approved a law to provide retired residents over the age of 55 a long-term visa for a period of 5 years with the possibility of renewal, if eligibility criteria are met.
For a retiree to be eligible for a 5-year renewable retirement visa, he has an active income of no less than AED 20,000 per month.
7-Patient Entry Permit:
Foreign patients can enter the UAE for treatment under the sponsorship of medical establishments and government and private hospitals. The sponsor (medical establishment) takes the responsibility of processing entry permits for treatment upon the patient’s request. The sponsor must be a hospital licensed and registered in the UAE.
Required documents to get a Patient Entry Permit:
The following documents are needed to process the entry permit:
- A letter from a registered hospital explaining the reasons for the visit
- Financial security.
A business visa or investment visa is part of the Golden Visa system under which foreigners can obtain long-term visas for themselves and their dependents. An eligible entrepreneur is anyone who has set up a business of their own at some point in their career and wishes to do so again in the UAE.
Which of these visas is planning to apply for? Do you have any other information to add to our article? Share your ideas in the comment section down below.